Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lord Ider... Ya dun killed him!

I've heard this story several times but I laugh every time... Some of the grandkids are protective of their grandaddy, and they don't like this story....;-). My dad told this one last year at Thanksgiving again..

"My Aunt and Uncle lived in Gadsden. Horace and Cass had two children and every year they went on vacation to Detroit to see the Detroit Tigers play. That was Horaces favorite team. They wrote a letter to Momma and asked if they could come and stay the night so they could get to Detroit the next day before dark. Now it was Dwight, Wayne, me, Nat, and Carl... and Billy Bragg was always around too.. So, six boys were always hanging around, so Momma called all of us together. She said, "Now listen, boys. I don't want to spend all the time fussin' at you boys. You must behave.. ". She looked at me and said, "Do you understand?". Now, I knew that the only answer to that question was, "Yes ma'am..". I knew right off the bat that I wasn't going to behave, and Cass and Horace hadn't been there an hour, and I had both of their kids crying...I just couldn't help it.. I was just so mean... Momma didn't yell.. She just looked at me and said, "Come here, boy...".

Now I knew what she was going to do... She was going to grab my arm and jerk me around fussin' on me and that embarrassed me! I was going to be the heavyweight champion of the world and the best athelete and that was humiliating.. So I ran... Now when Daddy and them first moved there it was up on top of this red hill... And they had gone down to the river when the water was low and got some
Smooth river rocks, kindly flat... Well, Momma reached down and grabbed one of those rocks and threw it at me... It hit me right on top of the head.. It didn't hurt, but I fell down, squallin' and carryin' on. Cass looked over at Maw Ider and said, "Lord, Ider... You dun killed him..."

No comments:

Post a Comment