Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Big Brother!

Tomorrow is my big brother’s birthday. Now considering that I am 6’4” and 290 lbs, you may look at Steve and question that “big brother” status. However, anyone who knows Steve understands completely. Every since we were kids, I’ve been following him around like a puppy. He’s someone that I look up to in every way, whether it’s his business acumen, unique way of looking at the world, devotion to family, or just the fact that we will often start laughing at the same thing before anyone else in the room because his sense of humor has rubbed off on me during our childhood years.

When we were kids, I would hang around and follow he and his friends around all the time. If he minded, he never let me know. He always stuck up for me if anyone picked on me and was just a hero to me in so many ways. He was an athlete, popular with his friends, always joking and laughing, and really charismatic with most everyone that he met. I watched everything he did, and to this day, I still emulate some of the ways that I saw him make people laugh.

I still remember the day Steve left for Auburn. I was a little panicked, and the house seemed awfully lonely and empty without his jokes and laughter. I tried to pick up the slack where I could. When he graduated and started working as a broker, I had no doubt he would be successful. His professional success is only overshadowed by his success as a husband and a father. He has raised three absolutely wonderful daughters that make all of us proud ever single day. I see that he and Marian share a special relationship that is centered in a strong faith and the ability to make each other laugh. I’ve met several of Steve’s close friends and people with whom he does business, and its obvious that they have absolute faith and confidence in Steve in every capacity. I know that he is an active and respected member of the Birmingham community, and I couldn’t be prouder of all that he has accomplished.



So to recap….. He looks like Bill Murray…. plays tennis like Borg (still remember the racquets he used to use with Borg on them…thought they were so cool)……plays golf like Furyk (swing is a little unconventional…but it works)…. laughs on roller coasters (starts when he stands in line and gets worse all the way until the ride is over)…. is a master fisherman (freshwater, saltwater, fly, you name it…) …. cooks like Emeril (never tasted steaks as good as his…anywhere) …. And loves his friends and family with a passion that is truly amazing. I love you, bud. Miss you guys, and look forward to our next visit. Happy Birthday, Big Brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment